Varying the conditions of a work visa

Some work visas come with conditions or rules about your employment. Find out if you can change these conditions.

Finding your visa conditions

Your conditions are recorded in your eVisa, on the visa label in your passport, or explained to you in a letter we sent you.

How to check the conditions of your visa

Conditions you can change

If your work visa comes with conditions you can apply to change:

  • the employer you work for
  • the job you are doing
  • the location you are working
  • how long you can study for while you work.

Even if you change the conditions of your visa, it will still expire on the same date.

You want  to change job, employer or location

If your work visa lets you work in any job, for any employer and in any location, you do not need to apply for a variation of conditions.

Before you apply

If you are changing your job , employer or the location where you work, you need to include in your application:

  • an offer of employment
  • an employment agreement
  • our Employer supplementary form (INZ 1113), completed by your new employer, and
  • if you need to work out a notice period, a covering letter that sets out how long your notice period is.

Employer supplementary form (INZ 1113) PDF 259KB

If you have an Essential Skills Work Visa

If you have an Essential Skills Work Visa, and your job is not on a skill shortage list, you can only apply to change your employer.

Skill shortage lists

You need to apply for a new work visa to:

  • change job
  • location, or
  • to change employment to a lower skill-band.

Employment skill-bands for Essential Skills Work Visas

If you have a Post Study Work Visa (employer-assisted)

If you have a Post Study Work Visa (employer-assisted) or we accepted your application for one before 26 November 2018, you can choose to have the job, location and employer removed. You can then work for any employer.

Changing a Post Study Work Visa

If you have a Talent (accredited employer) Work Visa

You must apply for a variation of conditions if:

  • you want to change your job to work for another accredited employer — you do not need to complete an Employer supplementary form (INZ 1113) as part of your application
  • your current job is no longer available for reasons outside your control, but you can get work for an employer who is not accredited.

Accredited employers list

Your new job must pay the same or more than the minimum salary you needed to earn when you applied for your visa.

If your employer loses their accreditation

If you employer loses or does not renew their accreditation, you can keep working for them without applying for a variation to the conditions of your visa.

You want to study

If you want to study for more than 3 months on a work visa, you need to apply for a variation of conditions.

With your application you need to include:

  • an offer of place from the education provider you want to study with, and
  • evidence that you have paid the tuition fees.

You do not need to apply for a variation if:

  • your employer requires you to undertake the study as part of your employment
  • you have a working holiday visa and are studying for less than 6 months.

How to apply for a variation of conditions

Follow these steps.

  1. Download, print and complete the application form for a variation of conditions.
  2. Use our online tool to find out where to send your application and how much it costs.
  3. Send in your application with the fee and any supporting evidence.

Application for a Variation of Conditions or a Variation of Travel Conditions (INZ 1020) PDF 287KB

Our online tool also tells you how long it normally takes us to make a decision.

Fees, decision times and where to apply

Assessing your application

Before we approve your application we check that:

  • the new conditions you are asking for align with the reason your visa was originally granted
  • you have met the conditions of your current visa, and
  • you still have a genuine intention to work in New Zealand.

Genuine intentions to visit, study or work in New Zealand