Application for a variation of conditions for work visa holders

If you are in New Zealand you may apply for a variation of conditions to allow you to change your occupation, your employer, your place of employment, or to study part-time.

Who can apply for a variation of conditions

This form is for work visa holders only. If you hold a student visa or a visitor visa you will need to apply using the INZ 1020 form.

Application for a Variation of Conditions or a Variation of Travel Conditions (INZ 1020) PDF 287KB

Working for a different employer

If you are applying to work for a different employer, an Employer Supplementary Form (INZ 1113) must be completed by your new employer unless your new employer is an Accredited Employer. The Employer Supplementary Form must be attached to this application.

Employer Supplementary Form (INZ 1113) PDF 388KB

Essential Skills Work Visa holders

If you hold an Essential Skills work visa, you will need to apply for a new work visa rather than a variation of conditions if you wish to change:

  • the location of your place of employment (unless your occupation is listed on a Essential Skills in Demand List and you meet the requirements of the relevant list)
  • your occupation (unless your occupation is listed on a Essential Skills in Demand List and you meet the requirements of the relevant list)
  • the conditions of your employment, if your current visa is based on being paid at or above the median wage (or mid or high-skilled) and your new employment will be paid below the median wage.


The fee to submit this request is NZD $210. You will pay the fee at the end of the form. You can pay with a Visa or Mastercard credit card.

Pre-form questions