Knowledge base articles

What can be used as evidence of residence status?

The most reliable evidence of your residence status can be found in your passport.

Every resident is issued with the following:

  • (prior to 29 Nov 2010) a Residence Permit and a Returning Residents Visa (RRV); or
  • (after 29 Nov 2010) a Resident Visa (RV) which may be subject to conditions or a Permanent Resident Visa (PRV), which has no conditions. 

These can either be in a form of a stamp issued by Customs, a label issued by Immigration New Zealand or as an eVisa

eVisa example

If for any reason these documents are not available to you or you were granted a resident visa a long time ago, your alternative option is to request an official letter from your nearest immigration office confirming your current status in New Zealand.

In order to process your request, you will need to apply for  Confirmation of Visa and pay the appropriate fee.  

Confirmation of Visa form (INZ 1023)

Fees and office finder

You have the option of submitting a Privacy Act request to request a letter with a statement of your immigration status (if this information exists on your file)

Request your personal information