My job has ended unexpectedly. What happens now?

If your job has ended unexpectedly, you've got some options. Read here for more information.

Option A: Check your visa conditions

Your visa may have conditions placed on it. If any of these conditions change, your visa must change with them.

You may need to apply for a variation of conditions or a whole new work visa.

Option B: If your employer is named on your visa

If you lost your job during a 90-day trial period, you may be eligible for a Dismissed Worker Visitor Visa.

Dismissed Worker Visitor Visa


From 29 October 2023, accredited employers are not allowed to use trial periods in employment agreements when hiring people on an Accredited Employer Work Visa (AEWV). The 90-day trial rule will not apply to migrants who already hold, or have applied for, an AEWV based on a Job Check that was approved before 29 October 2023.

Option C: Working holidays are not affected

Under a working holiday scheme or partnership work visa, you can look for a new employer without notifying us.