Accredited Employer Work Visa

Apply for this temporary visa if you have a job offer from an accredited employer, the skills and qualifications for the job, and a link to the visa application form.

Length of stay
Up to

5 years

NZD $750
Processing time
Best estimate
12 weeks
With this visa you can
  • Work in New Zealand for an accredited employer who has offered you at least 30 hours work a week.
  • Study for up to 3 months in any 12 month period, or do any study required as part of your employment.
  • If you are eligible, apply for a Straight to Residence Visa, Work to Residence Visa, Care Workforce Work to Residence Visa or Transport Work to Residence Visa.
  • If you are eligible, use skilled work experience in New Zealand to claim points towards the Skilled Migrant Category Resident Visa.
    New Zealand skilled residence pathways
Things to note

What you need to apply

Check if you are eligible to apply for this visa and what supporting documents and information you need to provide.

View All Evidence

Prove your identity by providing:

Acceptable photos for a visa or NZeTA

After you apply, we let you know if we need to see your original passport.

Providing your passport for online applications


Your passport must be valid for at least 3 months after you plan to leave New Zealand.

You must also provide your Kartu Keluarga.

If you are not a French national, you must provide a copy of your carte d’assuré.

You must also provide a copy of your livret de famille.

If you are a Filipino citizen leaving the Philippines, your passport must be valid for 6 months after the date you plan to leave. This is a departure requirement in the Philippines.

If you are a citizen of China and you submit a paper application form in China, you must also complete a supplementary form.

Supplementary form for Chinese citizens (INZ 1027) PDF 338KB

If you are submitting a paper application form, you must provide a supplementary form for Hong Kong and Macao visitors, workers and students.

Supplementary form for Hong Kong and Macao visitors, workers and students (INZ 1220) PDF 240KB

Also provide a copy of your Identity card.

Also provide your:

  • Hukou (household registration book)
  • Chinese identity card.

If you have a criminal conviction or are a security risk to New Zealand we may not be able to grant you a visa.

Good character for temporary visas

You must provide police certificates if your total time in New Zealand will be 24 months or longer across all visits. This includes any time you have spent in New Zealand in the past on other visas, even if you have been out of the country since then.

You also must provide police certificates if we ask for them.

If you are 16 years old or younger you do not need to provide police certificates.

Providing police certificates

How to get a police certificate

If you have already sent us Police Certificates with a previous visa application and they are less than 24 months old, you do not need to send them again.

Police certificates must be less than 6 months old when you submit your application. They must be from any country you are a citizen of, or have spent more than 5 years in since you turned 17.


If you provide a police certificate that is not in English, you must provide an English translation.

This includes police certificates that record no convictions.

The acceptable character certificate for the Philippines is the NBI clearance.

After you submit your application we will check any medical information you have previously submitted and contact you if we need new medical information.


You must provide a chest x-ray completed in the last 3 months, even if you've provided one to us previously, if:

  • you have spent 6 consecutive months in China since the last x-ray certificate was issued, and
  • you are now coming to NZ for more than 6 months.

When we decide if your intentions are genuine, we consider all the information:

  • you provide to support your application
  • we have about your personal circumstances, and
  • you provided in any previous applications.

Genuine intentions to visit, study or work in NZ

Your job offer must be:

  • current at the time you apply for your visa
  • for at least 30 hours of work a week
  • from an employer who is accredited to hire migrants for the Accredited Employer Work Visa and has an approved job check for your role.

The accreditation process

In your visa application you must include:

  • a copy of the employment agreement and job description
  • a signed copy of the job offer.

The employment agreement must include:

  • your employer’s name, address and phone number
  • your name and address
  • your job title
  • the address for your place of work
  • the kind of work you will be doing and your responsibilities at work
  • details of any necessary qualifications or work experience
  • information about whether you need New Zealand registration to do the work
  • what hours you will work and how long the work will be for
  • how long you have to take up the job offer
  • pay and work conditions that comply with New Zealand employment law.

Your employment agreement must be with an accredited employer who has a history of compliance with immigration and employment law.

Check if an employer is accredited

List of non-compliant employers | Employment New Zealand


Job offer scams are common in India and South Asia, ensure your job offer is genuine.

How to determine how realistic the job offer is

Your employer must pay you at least the February 2023 median wage rate unless your job is on an exemption list.

AEWV roles exempt from paying the February 2023 median wage rate

Your job offer cannot be for:

  • work planting, maintaining, harvesting or packing crops in the horticulture or viticulture industries
  • foreign crew of fishing vessels, or
  • self-employed work.

If your role is at ANZSCO level 4 or 5:

  • you must show that you can speak and understand English
  • you may have a shorter total time you can stay in New Zealand of 3 years instead of 5 years
  • your employer will need to advertise a role for a longer period of time before offering it to you.

You must have either:

Your qualification or work experience must be in the same field or industry as the job you have been offered. If you have a Bachelor's degree or higher your qualification can be in any field or industry.

Work experience evidence

Evidence of work experience must be from someone other than yourself, and can include:

  • letters of reference from a former employer
  • certificates of employment
  • pay slips, or
  • tax certificates.

Qualifications evidence

You must provide copies of your qualifications with your application.

You also must provide an International Qualification Assessment (IQA) from the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) if your qualification is:

  • below a Bachelor's degree, and
  • from outside of New Zealand.

This is so we can check if your qualification is comparable to a level 4 New Zealand qualification or higher.

Apply for an International Qualification Assessment (IQA) – NZQA website


If your job token is expiring before 30 June 2024 we will also accept evidence that you have applied for an IQA, such as your receipt from NZQA, when you submit your application. We will hold your application for a reasonable period of time, until your IQA can be provided. We will complete an assessment on the rest of your application while we wait for your IQA.

You do not need to provide any additional evidence to show you meet our minimum skill requirements if:

  • your role is on the Green List, and you provide evidence that you meet the Green List requirements for that role
  • you have occupational registration for your role, which required evidence of work experience or qualifications to get, and you provide this evidence to us
  • you are paid 2 times the February 2023 median wage or more (NZD$59.32 an hour), or
  • you have already given us evidence of your Level 4 or higher qualification, or 3 or more years of work experience with a previous visa application.

Green List roles

Occupational registration

These requirements may include evidence of your work experience, qualifications or occupational registration.

You may need to provide this evidence for other AEWV criteria, such as

  • minimum skill requirements, and
  • occupational registration.

If you provide this evidence for another AEWV criteria, you do not need to provide it again.

If registration is required to work in your occupation in New Zealand, you must provide either:

  • a certified copy of your full or provisional New Zealand registration
  • confirmation from the appropriate registration body that you’re eligible for New Zealand registration.

Occupational registration

There is a total time you can stay in New Zealand (also called maximum continuous stay) for everyone with an AEWV. If you reach your maximum continuous stay, you must spend the required time outside New Zealand for your role before you are eligible for a further AEWV.

If you are paid less than the February 2023 median wage, or if your role is at ANZSCO level 4 or 5 your total time you can stay may be less than 5 years.

If you have an existing AEWV and you are eligible for a further AEWV, you may be able to apply for your visa balance.

How long you can stay on an AEWV

There are 2 ways to show us you speak and understand English – through:

  • your citizenship, where you studied and the qualifications you gained
  • English language tests.

The results of your English language test must:

  • meet the minimum score we set
  • be no more than 2 years old when you apply.

Find out about the citizenship requirements, the evidence needed for study and qualifications, or the test results required:

English language requirements for AEWV skill level 4 and 5 roles


When we assess your application, we may ask for more evidence of your ability to speak and understand English. If we do, you may have to sit a test and send us the results.

Process and costs

The information below will help you understand the process, timeframes and costs involved in applying for this visa, so you can plan ahead and have the best chance of submitting a complete application.


We cannot display any process or costs information until you have provided your country details. Enter your country details in the panel above to view information relevant to your situation.

Enter country details

How to submit

Payment methods and receiving centre details if applicable.


We cannot display any receiving centre or payment method information until you have provided your country details. Enter your country details in the panel above to view information relevant to your situation.

Enter country details


These are the conditions that you must meet once you have your visa.

Entry permission

You must apply for entry permission when you arrive in New Zealand. You can do this by completing a digital New Zealand traveller declaration (NZTD), or an NZTD paper declaration.

New Zealand Customs and Biosecurity also check that you meet their entry requirements.

Arriving in New Zealand


You can be refused entry permission if:

  • you don’t meet our character requirements
  • your circumstances have changed since you were granted a visa
  • you refuse to let us to take your photo, or provide us with your fingerprints or an iris scan, if we ask you for them.


If you want to travel in and out of New Zealand, you must have valid multiple entry travel conditions to return to New Zealand.

Varying the conditions of a work visa


If applying from inside New Zealand, we will normally give multiple entry travel conditions when we grant a visa.

If there are no multiple entry travel conditions and you leave New Zealand the visa will expire.

The travel conditions will be listed on the visa label or in a visa letter.


Your employer must offer you at least 30 of hours of work per week. You may work only in the specific occupation, for the employer and in the location specified on your visa. If these conditions change, you must apply to vary the conditions of your visa or apply for a Job Change. You cannot work a second job while on an AEWV.

Changing the conditions of a work visa or applying for a Job Change

To be accredited your employer has committed to:

  • give you specific work-related settlement information and support
  • allow you time to complete study modules about working in New Zealand
  • not pass on their accreditation, recruitment or operational costs to you, and
  • comply with New Zealand employment and immigration laws.

Migrant workers have the same rights as New Zealand workers. If you think your employer is mistreating you or your workplace is unsafe, report them. Reporting them will not affect your visa.

Your employer's commitments to hire you on an AEWV

They must also pay you at least NZD$29.66 an hour (the February 2023 median wage rate) unless your occupation is on an exemption list.

AEWV roles exempt from paying the February 2023 median wage rate


You can study for up to 3 months in any 12-month period.


You may be able to do other study if it is required by your employer as part of your employment. Your employer must pay for any work-related study you need to do.

Visa expiry

You must leave New Zealand before your visa expires.


You can stay for up to 5 years on this visa if you are paid at or above NZD$29.66 an hour (the February 2023 median wage rate).

If your role is on the Green List, or one paying you twice the median wage, you may be eligible to apply now for the Straight to Residence, or after 2 years in the role a Work to Residence, Care Workforce or Transport Work to Residence visa.

New Zealand skilled residence pathways