Can I get a refund of my application fee?

Visit, study, critical purpose and work visas

You can only get a refund in special circumstances. Each request is considered on a case by case basis.

If your visa application has already been completed

You cannot get a refund if your application has been completed, even if it was declined. This is because the fee you pay covers the costs of assessing your application.

If your visa application has not been completed

You can apply for a refund if your visa application has not been completed, but refunds are only given in special circumstances. You cannot get a refund if you change your mind about your application. 

Situations where fee refunds apply can include:

  • you paid the fee but you did not need to
  • you paid the wrong fee
  • you paid the fee but your application did not meet our lodgement criteria.

Apply for a refund

To apply for a refund:

  1. Complete the refund request form.
  2. Send your refund request to the same office that you sent your application to. If you applied online, check our Fees, decision times and where to apply page to find the office that handles applications for your location.

Customer Refund Request Form PDF 499KB

Fees, decision times and where to apply


Immigration New Zealand is refunding applications that lapsed because they could not be processed due to COVID-19 border measures. 

We will email eligible visa applicants, or their representative, when their refund is being processed. You do not have to request the refund from us.

Refunds for visa applications that cannot be processed


If you have applied for a Recovery Visa your application fee will be refunded automatically if your application is successful. Refunds are expected to take 15 to 25 days to process, depending on demand for the new visa. Once the refund has been processed, confirmation will be provided via the email address listed as the contact in the application.