Supporting partner character requirements

Your partner can only support your visa application if they can show us they are of good character. They may need to provide police certificates or criminal records for proof.

Evidence your partner is of good character

If you apply for a visa as the partner of a New Zealand citizen or a New Zealand visa holder, your partner must be able to show us they are of good character.

If your partner cannot prove they are of good character, we can grant a character waiver which means your partner will still be able to support your visa application.


If your partner has any convictions for family violence or sexual offences, they cannot support your application.

If your partner is a NZ citizen, resident, or visa holder

Your partner must provide police certificates from any country they have lived in for 12 months or more since they turned 17 — including New Zealand.

How to get a police certificate

Your partner does not need to tell us about any previous convictions received in New Zealand if they are covered under the Criminal Records (Clean Slate) Act 2004.

Clean slate scheme | Ministry of Justice

For all types of visa applications, we may request police certificates from your partner to make sure they meet our character requirements.