Information about Parent Resident Visa

You can apply to live in New Zealand permanently if you have a child who is a New Zealand citizen or resident. They must earn enough money and agree to sponsor you.



2500 each year

All conditions

With this visa you can

  • Live, work and study in New Zealand.
  • Include your partner in your residence application.

Things to note

The application process

Stage 1

1 You send us your expression of interest

You must complete and send us a ‘Parent Category Expression of Interest Form’ together with your application fee.


2 We invite you to apply for residence

If we select your EOI, we may invite you to apply for residence.

Stage 2

3 You send us your residence application

You must complete and send us a 'Parent Category Residence Application form' and your sponsors must complete and sign a 'Sponsorship Form for Residence'.


4 We make a decision about your application

If there is anything else you need to do, we will be in touch.

Check that you meet the detailed criteria.

Use the filters to display detailed criteria and evidence