Knowledge base articles

Can workers from overseas bring their family with them?

When a prospective employee is applying for certain types of work visas with a duration longer than 6 months, their family may be eligible for visas based on their relationship. Their partner may be eligible for an open work visa and their children eligible for visitor or student visas.

The family members must meet health, character, and in some cases, English language requirements.

 Work visa holder supporting family

Where the prospective employee is applying for New Zealand residence, the partner and children would ordinarily be part of that application. They may also be granted residence if the application is successful.

The applicant and partner must be legally married, in a civil union, or in a de facto relationship. They must be able to show that their relationship is genuine and stable. A partner will only be granted residence if the couple have been living together as partners for at least 12 months. 


If a work visa holder has supported their family for temporary visas, each family member must be included in the resident visa application.