Pathway student visas allow international students to undertake a progression of up to three consecutive programmes of study with selected education providers on a single visa. The visa will be valid up to a maximum of five years.
Pathway student visas were implemented on 7 December 2015 for an initial pilot period of 18 months with selected primary, secondary and tertiary institutions. The 18 month period will enable INZ to evaluate pilot outcomes, such as student transition rates from the first to the second programme of study and how well the arrangements between providers are working.
With this visa they can
- Stay for up to 5 years.
- Study up to 3 courses, one after the other, on a single student visa.
- Work part-time up to 20 hours a week while studying and full-time in the holidays, depending on your course of study.
Things to note
- Pathway Student visas are long enough to complete a qualification plan.
- They’ll need to meet the pre-requisites for any second and third courses on their study pathway to stay in New Zealand on a Pathway Student Visa.
A good visa option for Education Providers
- This option reduces cost and hassle.
- It provides certainty for the student and their family.
- It allows the student to concentrate on their studies rather than having to worry about visa applications and makes the transition between programmes smoother.