Private Yacht or Plane Visitor Visa

Visa details

You can travel in and out of New Zealand on a private plane or yacht for up to 3 months on this visa.

Length of stay
Up to

3 months

NZD $211
Processing time
90% within
47 days
With this visa you can
  • Visit New Zealand on a private yacht or aircraft.
  • Travel in and out of New Zealand for up to 3 months.
  • Include your partner, and dependent children aged 19 and under, in your visa application.
Things to note
  • You’ll need to contact New Zealand Customs Service for information about what to do before you fly in or arrive by sea.
    New Zealand Customs Service
  • You can’t work in New Zealand on a visitor visa.

Who can apply

The criteria and evidence below will provide you with the information you need to provide to meet the requirements of this visa.

View All Evidence


You must provide proof of your identity

  • 1 acceptable photo if you apply online, or 2 photos if you use a paper application form.
  • your passport or certificate of identity.

Acceptable photos

If you submit a paper application, provide your original passport or a certified copy.  We can usually process your application faster if you provide your original passport.

If you apply online, you must upload a copy of your passport when you apply. We will let you know if you need to send your passport after you've applied.

Sending your passport for online applications

  1. If you are a citizen of China and you submit a paper application form in China, you must also complete a supplementary form.

    Supplementary form for Chinese citizens (INZ 1027) PDF 338KB

  2. If you are submitting a paper application form, you must provide a supplementary form for Hong Kong and Macao visitors, workers and students.

    Supplementary form for Hong Kong and Macao visitors, workers and students (INZ 1220) PDF 240KB

  3. Also provide your:

    • Hukou (household registration book)
    • Chinese identity card.
  4. Also provide a copy of your Identity card.


You must be of good character

You may need to provide police certificates as proof of your good character.

If you are aged 17 or older and plan to stay in New Zealand for more than 24 months (including any time you have already spent in New Zealand), you must provide police certificates from:

  • any country you are a citizen of
  • any country you have spent more than 5 years in since you turned 17.

You do not need to provide police certificates if:

  • you have provided them to us with an earlier visa application, and
  • they were issued in the previous 24 months.

Good character

How to get a police certificate

Funds or sponsorship

You must have enough money to live on while you’re in New Zealand or have an acceptable sponsor

You must have at least NZD $1,000 per person per month, or NZD $400 if you’ll be living on board a yacht or have already paid for accommodation.

Evidence can include:

  • proof you’ve paid for accommodation, like hotel receipts or pre-paid vouchers
  • bank statements
  • credit card statements
  • bank drafts
  • travellers’ cheques
  • a ‘Sponsorship Form for Temporary Entry’ completed by an acceptable sponsor. 

What sponsors must do – responsibilities and obligations

Sponsorship Form for Temporary Entry (INZ 1025) PDF 414KB

Onward travel (commercial transport)

If you’ll be using commercial transport to leave New Zealand, you must have a travel ticket or enough money to buy one

Evidence can include:

  • your travel ticket out of New Zealand to a country you have the right to enter
  • documents showing you have enough money to buy a ticket out of New Zealand, eg bank or credit card statements.
  1. If after your New Zealand visit, you’re going to a country that also requires you to have a travel ticket, we may ask you for evidence you have a ticket to leave that country too.

Onward travel (private transport)

You must either own and insure the craft you’re travelling on or provide confirmation from its owner or captain that you’ll be leaving on that craft

If you’ll be leaving New Zealand on a private craft, you must provide evidence of either of the following:

  • for owners and their dependants, evidence of ownership of the craft and adequate insurance against major damage
  • for crew and passengers, a letter from the craft’s owner or captain confirming that you'll be leaving on that craft.

Health care

You must agree to pay your own health care costs

You must declare in your visa application that you’ll pay the costs of any health care or medical assistance you receive in New Zealand.

  1. We recommend that you have full medical insurance for the length of your visit.

Partner and dependent children

You can include your partner and any dependent children up to the age of 24 in your application

To bring family:

  • you must provide evidence of your relationship with them, like marriage and birth certificates
  • you must provide proof of their identity
  • they must be of good character
  • they must be in good health.

Dependent children

  1. A family can include yourself, your partner, and dependent children 19 and under.

  2. You should provide copies of identity cards for family members included in your application.

  3. You should provide copies of family members Hukou (household registration book) included in your application.

Process and costs

The information below will help you understand the process, timeframes and costs involved in applying for this visa, so you can plan ahead and have the best chance of submitting a complete application.


We cannot display any process or costs information until you have provided your country details. Enter your country details in the panel above to view information relevant to your situation.

Enter country details

How to submit

Payment methods and receiving centre details if applicable.


We cannot display any receiving centre or payment method information until you have provided your country details. Enter your country details in the panel above to view information relevant to your situation.

Enter country details


These are the conditions that you must meet once you have your visa.

Entry permission

You must apply for entry permission at an Immigration Control Area when you arrive in New Zealand by presenting yourself to an Immigration Officer within 72 hours of your arrival.

Immigration Control Area

  • You can be refused entry permission if:

    • you do not meet our character requirements
    • your circumstances have changed since you were granted a visa
    • you refuse to let us take your photo or to provide us with your fingerprints or an iris scan, if asked for them
    • you are unable to provide evidence of any onward travel or funds required by the conditions of your visa.

    If you are refused entry to New Zealand

    Before you travel to New Zealand


If travelling in and out of New Zealand, a valid multiple entry travel condition is needed to return to New Zealand.

Changing the conditions of a visitor visa

  • If applying from inside New Zealand, we will normally give multiple entry travel conditions when we grant a visa.

    If there are no multiple entry travel conditions and you leave New Zealand the visa will expire.

    The travel conditions will be listed on the visa label or in a visa letter.

Onward travel

If you’re leaving New Zealand by commercial transport, you must have a ticket to leave New Zealand to a country you have the right to enter or enough money to buy one.

Funds or sponsorship

If living on board a yacht, you must have NZ $400 a month to live on while in New Zealand or a sponsor.

Acceptable sponsors


You cannot work in New Zealand on this visa.

Visa expiry

You must leave New Zealand before your visa expires.

  • You can apply for more visas to allow you to stay up to 9 months. Or up to 12 months, if:

    • your yacht or aircraft needs repairs
    • you wish to wait out the South Pacific hurricane season (October to April).