Information about Talent (Accredited Employer) Resident Visa

This visa is for people who have been employed in New Zealand by an accredited employer for more than 2 years. If you have ongoing employment with the accredited employer and your salary is NZ$55,000 or greater, you may be eligible for this resident visa.



Length of stay


You can

  • Live, work and study in New Zealand.
  • Include your partner and dependent children aged 24 and under in your residence application.

Things to note

  • To apply for this visa, you must hold a Talent (Accredited Employer) Work Visa and have worked for an accredited employer for two years.
  • If you changed your employer while on a Talent (Accredited Employer) Work Visa, you must have had your visa conditions varied.
  • If you have yet to take up a job offer from an accredited employer, you may consider applying for a Talent (Accredited Employer) Work Visa.

Talent (Accredited Employer) Work Visa
Variation of visa conditions


Meeting the criteria

The criteria and evidence below will provide you with the information you need to meet the requirements.

Use the filters to display country specific tips, under evidence, to assist you with your application

Show all evidence Hide all evidence


You must be of good character

If you are 17 or over, you must provide a police certificate from:

  • your country of citizenship
  • any country you have lived in for 12 months or more in the last 10 years.

Good character

How to get a police certificate

Police Certificates must be less than 6 months old when you apply.

If you provide a police certificate that is not in English, you must provide an English translation.

This includes police certificates that record no convictions.

Employment in New Zealand

To apply for residence, you must have been employed by an accredited employer for 24 months or more

You must hold a Talent (Accredited Employer) Work Visa and have held that visa for at least 24 months.

Employment must be with an employer who is not included on the list of non-compliant employers maintained by the Labour Inspectorate.

Your employment must also be ongoing. Ongoing employment is:

  • permanent or indefinite; or
  • for a stated term of at least 12 months.

List of non-compliant employers

If you want to apply for residence earlier, you may wish to apply for residence under the Skilled Migrant Category (SMC). Use the SMC points indicator within the SMC Visa to check if you may be eligible to apply.

SMC points indicator

If you no longer work for an accredited employer, you must have varied your visa to allow this new employment. We’ll check our records to confirm this has happened.

Minimum income

To apply for residence, you must be earning at least NZ$55,000 a year (before tax)

When you apply for residence, you must provide a Summary of Earnings from Inland Revenue confirming your earnings. 

Inland Revenue

The minimum earnings must exclude any allowances like over-time, tool or uniform allowances, medical insurance, and accommodation.

If you’re earning NZ$90,000 or more, we may grant you a permanent resident visa.

Permanent Resident Visa

Occupational registration

You may need New Zealand registration

You must have full or provisional registration, if it’s needed to work in your occupation in New Zealand. 

Occupational registration


To apply for residence, you must be in New Zealand

We’ll check our records to confirm your location.

Bring family

Your family must meet the requirements for a resident visa

You can include your partner and dependent children in your application for a resident visa.

You must provide evidence:

  • of your relationship with your partner and dependent children
  • that your partner and dependent children meet the identity, character, health and English language requirements for this visa

Dependent children

If any of your immediate family members hold New Zealand temporary entry visas based on their relationship with you, they must be included in your residence application.

English language for family

Your family must be able to speak English

Your partner and any dependent children aged 16 or over you include in your residence application must meet a minimum standard of English. Evidence can include proof they:

  • have an acceptable English language test result
  • have an English-speaking background
  • are competent speakers of English for other reasons.

Acceptable English language test results

English language test results must be no more than 2 years old.

It’s OK if your partner and children over 16 don’t speak English, but you’ll have to pay for English language classes before we can approve your residence application. Then they can learn when they arrive in New Zealand.



The information below will help you understand the process so you can plan ahead and have the best chance of submitting a complete application.

Fees & receiving centre

Fees & receiving centre

The information below will help you understand the process, timeframes and costs involved in applying for this visa, so you can plan ahead and have the best chance of submitting a complete application.



These are the conditions that you must meet.


Once granted a resident visa, you can work for anyone you like, in any occupation you like.


Once granted a resident visa, you can do any study you like.


You can travel in and out of New Zealand as often as you like until your travel conditions expire.

To travel after that, you’ll need to apply for and be granted either:

  • a Permanent Resident Visa
  • a variation of your travel conditions, which would allow you to return to New Zealand at a later date. 

Your travel conditions will expire 2 years from the date you first arrive in New Zealand as a resident.

If you’re outside of New Zealand when your travel conditions expire, your visa will expire as well.


Employer obligations

New Zealand employers have certain obligations they must meet when employing a non New Zealand resident.

What an employer needs to do

Show all evidence Hide all evidence

Ongoing employment

You must provide a letter confirming that your employee has been working for you for 2 years or more

Your letter must confirm:

  • the date your employee started working for you
  • that you’ve been paying your employee at least NZ $55,000 a year in salary or wages (based on a 40 hour week, and not including any employment-related benefits like uniforms or medical insurance) that they’ve been working for you full-time and include their hours of work
  • that they have ongoing employment with you
  • that the ongoing employment you’re offering will meet employment law, like providing a written employment agreement, meeting holiday and special leave requirements, and providing a safe workplace.

Maintain accreditation

You should be an accredited employer to support your employee's residence application

To maintain your employer accreditation, you must apply to renew it prior to its expiry. You can do this by completing an online ‘Employer Accreditation Application’.

Accredited Employers List

It’s a good idea to apply to renew your accreditation 3 months before it expires.

If you allow your accreditation to expire you may have to pay the full fee.