Information about Parent Retirement Resident Visa

You can apply to live in New Zealand permanently if you have a child who is a New Zealand citizen or resident. You will also need to meet our income and investment requirements.


If you meet the visa conditions, indefinitely

All conditions

With this visa you can

  • Live, work and study in New Zealand.
  • Include your partner in your visa application.
  • Apply for permanent residence after 4 years of keeping your funds invested in New Zealand.

Things to note

  • If we approve your residence application in principle, you’ll have 12 months to transfer your investment funds to New Zealand.
  • If you want to come to New Zealand to investigate investment opportunities, you'll need to apply for work visa. If your partner wants to come with you, they'll need to apply for their own work or visitor visa.

The application process

Stage 1

1 You apply for residence

Complete a ‘Parent Retirement Category Residence Application’ and send it to us together with your application fee, immigration levy, and supporting documents.


2 We make a decision about your application

If your application is successful, we’ll approve it in principle.

Stage 2

3 If we approve your application in principle

If we approve your application in principle, you’ll have 12 months to transfer your funds to New Zealand and invest in an acceptable investment. You must show that your funds or assets came from the source you named in your residence application.



4 We grant your resident visa

After we grant your visa, we’ll check in with you to make sure you’re meeting the conditions of your visa like keeping your funds invested in New Zealand. If you’ve met all the conditions at the end of your 4-year investment, you may be eligible for a Permanent Resident Visa.

Check that you meet the detailed criteria.

Use the filters to display detailed criteria and evidence