I'm a New Zealand citizen but travel on my foreign passport

You will need an endorsement of your New Zealand citizenship in your foreign passport. An endorsement is a record that allows a New Zealand citizen to enter New Zealand as a citizen although they are travelling on a foreign passport.

An endorsement may be a label in your foreign passport or an electronic record linked to your foreign passport.  An endorsement lasts as long as the foreign passport it is endorsed in (or linked to, if electronic only).

What you need to provide

You will need to provide:

  • your non-New Zealand passport,
  • evidence of your New Zealand citizenship (if it is the first time you are applying),
  • either an acceptable photo of your head and shoulders or  a New Zealand passport (for us to check the photo)
  • the completed form 'New Zealand Citizen Endorsement Application' and the correct fee.

If you are currently in New Zealand, your application must be sent to your nearest Immigration New Zealand branch.

If you are overseas, your application must be sent before you travel to New Zealand.

New Zealand Citizen Endorsement Application (INZ 1174) PDF 287KB

Acceptable photos

Fees, decision times and where to apply

Evidence of New Zealand citizenship

If you are applying for an endorsement for the first time, you will need to prove you are a New Zealand citizen by providing one of the following:

  • a New Zealand passport
  • a New Zealand birth certificate (if issued on or after 1 January 2006, the birth certificate must positively indicate the person has New Zealand citizenship)
  • a certificate of New Zealand citizenship issued under the Citizenship Act 1977
  • a certificate of confirmation of New Zealand citizenship by descent issued under the Citizenship Act 1977, or
  • an evidentiary certificate issued under the Citizenship Act 1977 confirming New Zealand citizenship.

For subsequent endorsement applications, you must provide a declaration that you have previously held a foreign passport with an endorsement confirming New Zealand citizenship.