I was granted residency on my Australian passport, but is has expired. Will this affect my status?

You were granted residency on your Australian passport which has now expired. There are a couple of options for to think about.

Option A: Renew your passport

You can stay in New Zealand but you can't leave on an expired passport.

Option B: Apply for a Permanent Resident Visa

You can gain permanent residency in New Zealand if you stay continuously for 24 months and then apply for a permanent resident visa. If you want to leave and return within the 24 months, apply for a variation of conditions to allow travel. With travel conditions, you must be in New Zealand for 184 days in each of the 12-month periods.

Variation of conditions to allow travel