Knowledge base articles

I'm coming to New Zealand to participate in a sports event. What visa do I need?

Although people coming to New Zealand for employment normally require a work visa, there is a special category of visitor visa available for people participating in short sports tournaments or events.

This special visitor visa is available to players as well as associated officials and support staff who are essential to the success of the event or tournament.

If the sports event or tournament is for more than 3 months you should apply for a work visa before travelling to New Zealand.

Sports Events visitor visa

If you are a person to whom a visa waiver applies you won't need to apply for a visitor visa before coming to New Zealand (unless you don't meet our character requirements)

Visa Waiver visitor visa

Good character for temporary visas

To travel to New Zealand visa waiver you will meet some basic entry requirements at the border.

If a visa waiver doesn't apply to you, then you will need to apply for a visitor visa before travelling to New Zealand.

Since 1 October 2019, you will need to hold an NZeTA before travelling to New Zealand visa waiver.