Providing full birth certificates with applications

What should my full birth certificate say?

A full birth certificate includes the following details:

  • Your full name
  • Your date and place of birth
  • Your parents' full names

What should I do if I don't have a full birth certificate?

If you do not have a full birth certificate, you will need to request one from the appropriate authorities in your country of birth.  

If your birth certificate is unobtainable, you will need to provide evidence of this, for example a ‘non-availability’ or ‘birth not registered’ certificate issued by the authority responsible for registering births in your country of birth.
Note: Immigration New Zealand does not consider a full birth certificate to be unobtainable when it is difficult or takes a long time to obtain.

If you are required to provide a full birth certificate with your application and you provide INZ with satisfactory evidence that your full birth certificate is unobtainable then you will need to provide originals or certified copies of the following documents:

  • passport or certificate of identity; and
  • an identity document (if you do not hold a passport or certificate of identity, you may provide two identity documents instead).

An identity document is a document that:

  • confirms a person's identity; and
  • includes a person's full name and date of birth; and
  • includes a photograph of the person's head and shoulders.

I am from India and my birth certificate is not available. What should I do?

You will need to provide:

  • your passport; and
  • a 'no record of birth registration' letter from the relevant municipal or village authorities; and
  • an identity document such as your Permanent Account Number card or motorised vehicle driving licence; and
  • your school leaving certificate or 10th or 12th class passing certificate, issued by a recognised education board, which states your full name, date of birth and your father's name (if available); and
  • an affidavit sworn before a Magistrate or Notary stating your date and place of birth and both parents' names.