Knowledge base articles

Do I need to stay with my parent or guardian while studying?

The Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice 2016 came into effect on 1 July 2016 and replaced the 2010 Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students.

One of the changes was around the need to live with a parent or legal guardian to study in New Zealand.

Under the new Code, international students must live with their parent or legal guardian if any of the circumstances below apply:

  • student is aged under 10 years old and will not be living in a school hostel
  • student is aged between 10 and 17 years old and there is no residential caregiver.

The Code defines residential caregiver as any one of the following:

  • a homestay carer
  • a licensed hostel manager or other person responsible for the care of international students in a licensed hostel
  • a designated caregiver
  • a supervisor (in the case of temporary accommodation).

All providers wishing to enrol international students must be a signatory to the Code of Practice (regardless of age/year of study).

Code of Practice 2016