Knowledge base articles

Lost or stolen passport - what should I do?

Your first step is to report the loss of your passport to your local police station and complete a police report. This should prevent anyone else using your passport.

Your passport issuing authority (e.g. your embassy, high commission or other consular authority) must also be informed of the loss. They may require a copy of the police report as well. You should also request the issue of a new passport from them at the same time.

For New Zealand passports, you should contact the Department of Internal Affairs. For all other passports, please find your embassy, high commission or other consular contact details and contact them directly.

Department of Internal Affairs contact details

Embassy and consulate contact details

Once you have obtained your new passport, you should request a transfer of any valid New Zealand visas into your new passport. The process and requirements for transfer requests can be found on our website.

Transferring my visa to a new passport

My visa expired while waiting for the new passport

If you are in New Zealand and your visa has expired while waiting for your new passport, your situation is more complex. You may need to contact the Immigration Contact Centre for personal assistance.

I have found my passport which I previously reported as lost or stolen

To find out if you are able to use this passport for travel, please contact us for more information.

Contact us

If a new passport has already been issued or applied for, this may cancel the old passport. In this instance, you will no longer be able to use your previous passport.

If you have reported your passport as lost or stolen with the New Zealand Police, you may need to confirm with them that you have found the passport again. The Police will generally need to sight the original passport and another form of photo ID.