Knowledge base articles

Extending a work visa

If you wish to work longer than your work visa allows, you will need to apply for a further work visa, before your current one expires.

The application process is the same as if applying for a first work visa as the application is not to 'extend' your existing visa, the application is for a new work visa, this means that you will need to demonstrate you meet all of the requirements of the policy you are applying under.

For more information on different work policies and how to apply you can explore work visa options or refer to our article 'How can I get a work visa?'

Explore Work Visa options

Since you have spent some time in New Zealand now, you may need to meet health and character requirements as well, especially if you have not had to provide full medical and chest X-ray certificate's in the last 36 months or a Police Certificate in the last 24 months.



A special set of instructions may apply to you if you are extending/applying for Essential Skills Work Visa while awaiting a decision on your Skilled Migrant Category Residence Visa application. For more information on this, read our article on Invitations to Apply.

Invitation to Apply

What about my partner and/or children?

If your family joined you in New Zealand and they wish to remain here longer, they should also make sure they continue to hold valid visas.

Explore family visa options


On 17 September 2019, the Minister of Immigration announced changes to employer assisted temporary work visa categories that will take place over the next 18 months.

Changes to temporary work visas