Difference between agents and providers

It is important that you know the difference of who can and cannot give immigration advice.

Education agents who provide advice to students offshore are considered exempt from licensing under the 'Immigration Advisers Licensing Act 2007'. These people can provide advice to students on visa applications, as well as advice on completing the forms and completing the form on their behalf.

Education providers cannot give immigration advice unless they have a licensed immigration adviser on staff. However, education providers can provide clerical assistance to help complete an online application, and they can submit that application online for the student.

Regulations and licensing

The Immigration Advisers Authority (IAA) has information on what to do when your student needs immigration advice.

IAA information for educators