Complaining about INZ services and processes

You can lodge a complaint about a service you received from us or if you think we did not follow the correct process. Search the website or call the contact centre for information about visa applications.

What you can complain about

We have a process called the Complaint and Feedback Process.

We investigate complaints about:

  • any service you received from us — for example providing information that was incorrect or misleading in forms or on this website
  • any service you received from a panel physician or clinic
  • any process failures, where we did not follow our own instructions or processes — for example when:
    • we did not communicate with you clearly
    • you were not treated with courtesy or respect
  • any response to previous complaints that you believe did not fully answer your complaint.

Suggestions and compliments

You can use this process to make suggestions for improvements, give us a compliment or provide other feedback.

What you cannot use this process to complain about

You cannot use the Complaints and Feedback Process to:

  • enquire about individual visa applications
  • make a general immigration query
  • dispute a decision we have made about a visa application, or
  • complain about New Zealand's immigration policy, including new policy decisions.

If you want to make a complaint about an employer and migrant exploitation, you can report it to Employment New Zealand. Anyone who sees or suspects a breach of minimum employment rights can report it.

Report migrant exploitation — Employment New Zealand

Immigration and visa queries

For queries, search our website for information or call the Contact Centre.

Waiting for a visa

Contact us

Appealing a visa decision

There are different processes for appealing visa decisions, depending on whether you applied for:

  • a temporary visa as a visitor, student or for work, or
  • a residence visa — you must appeal within 42 days of the decision.

How to get a temporary visa decision reviewed

Make an appeal | Immigration & Protection Tribunal

How to make a complaint

Use our online form for complaints or feedback.

Online feedback form

Before submitting the form to us, you must:

  • check you entered the email address used in your immigration file
  • read and understand the terms and conditions.

Terms and conditions

Complaining for someone else

If you are complaining or providing feedback for someone else, you need to attach an Authority to Act. This tells us that you have their approval. If you do not send us your Authority to Act we may not be able to investigate your complaint.

What we need from you

It is easier for us to investigate your complaint if you:

  • clearly explain the reasons for your complaint
  • provide any extra information we ask for after you have submitted the form
  • act honestly and treat us with courtesy and respect — we will do the same for you.

There is no charge for making complaints to Immigration New Zealand.

If you cannot use the online form

Download and complete our paper form.

Complaints form PDF 202KB

Post it or email it to us.

Central Feedback Team — Immigration New Zealand
Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment
PO Box 1473
Wellington 6140


  • You can only use this email address for complaints forms. Do not use it for general queries.
  • You must use the email address in your immigration file.

If you cannot use the online or paper form

You can also make a complaint by phoning our contact centre. A member of staff can take your complaint verbally and submit it on your behalf. Use the link below to find out how to contact us.

Contact us

How we process complaints

INZ's Central Feedback Team process all complaints. They:

  • log the complaint
  • assess it to make sure it is a complaint we can investigate
  • contact you if they need more information
  • assign the complaint to staff within INZ with the expertise to answer it.

INZ Complaints and Feedback Process PDF 581KB

If we do not accept your complaint

There are reasons why we cannot accept complaints or feedback. When this happens we will let you know why — usually within 3-5 days. Sometimes we suggest other ways to take the matter further.

Some reasons why complaints cannot be accepted are:

  • you are complaining about New Zealand Government immigration policy, including new policy decisions
  • you used an email address that is not in your immigration file
  • your query is about a visa
  • we do not know who has complained
  • you are complaining on behalf of someone else and did not send an Authority to Act
  • it is not written in or translated to English.

INZ Complaints and Feedback Policy PDF 311KB

Expect a response within 25 working days

If your complaint is complex or more than one issue, we may need more time to resolve it. If this happens, we will let you know.

If you are not satisfied with the outcome of your complaint

If you are not satisfied with the outcome of your complaint then you can raise concerns with:

Office of the Ombudsman

The Ombudsman can consider complaints about the administrative acts and decisions of state sector agencies. The Ombudsman will ask you if you have tried to resolve the matter with us directly first, and will also consider whether you have any other remedy available. The Ombudsman may look into your complaint and make a recommendation to us regarding the concern you have raised.

Free phone: 0800 802 602
PO Box 10152 Wellington 6143

Office of the Privacy Commissioner

The Privacy Commissioner can investigate whether an organisation’s actions have interfered with your privacy under the Privacy Act (2020). The Privacy Commissioner will ask you if you have tried to resolve the matter with us directly first.

They can:

  • assess whether there has been a breach of the Privacy Act,
  • assess the scale of the breach,
  • ask an organisation to meet with you, or
  • ask an organisation to provide the Privacy Commissioner with information and facilitate an agreed settlement.

Free phone: 0800 803 909
PO Box 10 094, Wellington 6143

Reporting possible wrongdoing by our staff

If you have any concerns about wrongdoing (e.g. fraud, corruption, dishonesty, conflicts of interest etc) at Immigration New Zealand you can contact the Integrity unit at the Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment. 

Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment contact us page