Vocational Trainee Student Visa

This visa is for trainees who have been awarded a New Zealand Short Term Training Scholarship by Manaaki New Zealand Scholarships.

Length of stay

See below

NZD $375
Processing time
80% within
6 weeks
With this visa you can
  • You can stay for the length of the programme of study at Manukau Polytechnic (Nautical students) or the length of the award up to 12 months (New Zealand Short Term Training Scholarship scholars).
  • If you work for a shipping company, study a nautical programme of study at Manukau Polytechnic.
  • If you’ve been awarded a New Zealand Short Term Training Scholarship, take up a training placement in a government agency, private training establishment or tertiary education institute.
  • Work part-time up to 20 hours a week while studying and full-time in the holidays.
Things to note
  • You can't include your partner or children in an application for a Vocational Trainee Student Visa. But if you want to bring them with you, they'll be able to apply for visas based on their relationship to you.

What you need to apply

Check if you are eligible to apply for this visa and what supporting documents and information you need to provide.

View All Evidence
  • 1 acceptable photo if you apply online, or 2 photos if you use a paper application form.
  • your passport or certificate of identity.

Acceptable photos

If you apply online, you must upload a copy of your passport when you apply. We will let you know if you need to send your passport after you have applied.

Providing your passport for online applications

If you submit a paper application, provide your original passport or a certified copy.  We can usually process your application faster if you provide your original passport.


Your passport must be valid for at least 3 months after you plan to leave New Zealand.

You must also provide your Kartu Keluarga.

If you are not a French national, you must provide a copy of your carte d’assuré.

You must also provide a copy of your livret de famille.

Also provide a copy of your Identity card.

Also provide your:

  • Hukou (household registration book)
  • Chinese identity card.

If you are a citizen of China and you submit a paper application form in China, you must also complete a supplementary form.

Supplementary form for Chinese citizens (INZ 1027) PDF 338KB

If you are submitting a paper application form, you must provide a supplementary form for Hong Kong and Macao visitors, workers and students.

Supplementary form for Hong Kong and Macao visitors, workers and students (INZ 1220) PDF 240KB

We may ask you to have a chest x-ray, a medical examination or both as proof of your good health.

If you are staying less than:

  • 6 months you do not normally need a chest x-ray. 
  • 12 months you do not normally need a medical certificate. 

Who needs an x-ray or medical examination

When we process your application we let you know if we need you to have a chest x-ray or medical examination.

Acceptable standard of health criteria for visa approvals

Please only provide medical certificates if requested


You must provide a chest x-ray completed in the last 3 months, even if you've provided one to us previously, if:

  • you have spent 6 consecutive months in China since the last x-ray certificate was issued, and
  • you are now coming to NZ for more than 6 months.

If you have a criminal conviction or are a security risk to New Zealand we may not be able to grant you a visa.

Good character for temporary visas

You must provide police certificates if your total time in New Zealand will be 24 months or longer across all visits. This includes any time you have spent in New Zealand in the past on other visas, even if you have been out of the country since then.

You also must provide police certificates if we ask for them.

If you are 16 years old or younger you do not need to provide police certificates.

Providing police certificates

How to get a police certificate

If you have already sent us Police Certificates with a previous visa application and they are less than 24 months old, you do not need to send them again.

Police certificates must be less than 6 months old when you submit your application. They must be from any country you are a citizen of, or have spent more than 5 years in since you turned 17.

When we decide if your intentions are genuine, we consider all the information:

  • you provide to support your application
  • we have about your personal circumstances, and
  • you provided in any previous applications.

Genuine intentions to visit, study or work in NZ

You must provide a letter from the shipping company that employs you, guaranteeing to pay:

  • your living costs while  in New Zealand 
  • for you to leave New Zealand at the end of your stay.

You must provide evidence that:

  • you have a place at Manukau Polytechnic, like an offer of place or a confirmation of enrolment
  • your tuition fees have been paid, like receipts.

If you’re a domestic student, you may be exempt from paying tuition fees.

You must provide evidence of your New Zealand scholarship under the Short-term Training Award.

Process and costs

The information below will help you understand the process, timeframes and costs involved in applying for this visa, so you can plan ahead and have the best chance of submitting a complete application.


We cannot display any process or costs information until you have provided your country details. Enter your country details in the panel above to view information relevant to your situation.

Enter country details

How to submit

Payment methods and receiving centre details if applicable.


We cannot display any receiving centre or payment method information until you have provided your country details. Enter your country details in the panel above to view information relevant to your situation.

Enter country details


These are the conditions that you must meet once you have your visa.

Entry permission

You must apply for entry permission when you arrive in New Zealand. You can do this by completing a digital New Zealand traveller declaration (NZTD), or an NZTD paper declaration.

New Zealand Customs and Biosecurity also check that you meet their entry requirements.

Arriving in New Zealand


You can be refused entry permission if:

  • you do not meet our character requirements
  • your circumstances have changed since you were granted a visa
  • you refuse to let us take your photo or to provide us with your fingerprints or an iris scan, if asked for them
  • you are unable to provide evidence of any onward travel or funds required by the conditions of your visa.

If you are refused entry to New Zealand

Before you travel to New Zealand


If you want to travel in and out of New Zealand, you must have valid multiple entry travel conditions to return to New Zealand.

Varying the conditions of a student visa


If you’re applying from inside New Zealand, we’ll normally give you multiple entry travel conditions when we grant you this visa.

If you don’t have multiple entry travel conditions and you leave New Zealand, your visa will expire.

Your travel conditions will be recorded on your visa label or in your visa letter.


You can work part-time for up to 20 hours a week while you’re doing your training or study.

You can work full-time during all scheduled holidays.


If you need to do practical work experience as part of a programme of nautical study, you can do this work in addition to the other hours you’re allowed to work.

Everyone who has a job in New Zealand pays tax on what they earn. An IRD number can be applied for online through Inland Revenue.

Apply online for an IRD number

You aren’t allowed to be self-employed. You have to work as an employee with an employment agreement and not as an independent contractor.

You can’t provide commercial sexual services or operate a business that provides these services.

Study (work visa)

If you’re a nautical student, you can only study nautical programmes of study at the Manukau Polytechnic.

You must study full-time, unless you have a reasonable excuse for absences and make satisfactory progress on your course.


If you later apply for another Student Visa, you’ll need to provide:

  • a reasonable excuse for any absences from your study
  • information about your progress on your course.

Visa expiry

You must leave New Zealand before your visa expires.


Visa expiry dates are printed on a visa label or included in a visa letter.