Share via Email
Share via Twitter
Share via Facebook
Share via LinkedIn

Changing the conditions of a student visa

Student visas may be changed to let you study a different course, change your education provider or where you are studying. In some cases, you can change your visa to let you work.

You have a student visa and want to work

You may be allowed to work part-time for up to 20 hours a week and full-time during all scheduled holidays and/or during the Christmas and New Year holiday period.

Part-time work (Tertiary students)

You can work up to 20 hours a week if you are studying full-time for any of the following:

Full-time work (Tertiary students)

You may be able to work full-time:

Secondary school students

If you’re studying in year 12 or 13, the last 2 years of secondary school, you can work up to 20 hours a week during the school year and full-time during the Christmas and New Year holiday period between school years.

Unlimited work rights for PhD and Masters by research students

If you’re enrolled in Masters by research or doctoral degree programme awarded by a New Zealand tertiary institution, there are no restrictions on the hours you can work.

Practical experience

You’re allowed to work, to meet a requirement of practical experience for your programme of study in New Zealand, if practical experience is a course requirement.

To vary your student visa to allow work you must provide:

You have a student visa and want to do a different course or study somewhere else

You must provide:

We won't ask for evidence you've paid the new tuition fees until we've approved in principle to vary your student visa.

You can change your course, provider, or the location of your study if you've met the conditions of your current student visa and are still a bona fide applicant. We must also be satisfied that your original student visa would have been granted for the new course or education provider.

If you currently hold a pathway student visa and wish to change your education provider, you will need to apply for a new student visa.

Genuine intentions to visit, study or work in NZ