Transit passengers

Information about transit visas and criteria for passing through New Zealand to another country.

Transit through New Zealand

If you pass through Auckland International Airport on your way to another country and do not plan to stay you are a transit passenger.

As a transit passenger you can only travel through Auckland International Airport where you must stay in the transit area of the airport or on board your craft. Normally you must spend less than 24 hours in transit in New Zealand.

Travel to other countries 

To transit New Zealand through Auckland International Airport, you must:

  • meet one of the categories or exceptions that mean you do not require an NZeTA or transit visa, or
  • hold a NZeTA if you are allowed to transit on an NZeTA, or
  • hold a transit visa if you are required to have a transit visa.

Transit rules can change quickly, so it is your responsibility to make sure you can transit through New Zealand and enter any country on your journey. If you are unable to do this, you may not be allowed to board the plane.

 As a transit passenger you cannot enter New Zealand.

Who does not need a visa or NZeTA

You do not need a visa or NZeTA if you:

  • are a New Zealand citizen or residence class visa holder
  • are a New Zealand temporary entry class visa holder with valid travel conditions
  • are an Australian citizen.

Who must request an NZeTA

If you are planning to transit through New Zealand to another country you must request an NZeTA before you travel if you:

  • hold a passport from a country on the list of transit visa waiver countries, or
  • are a citizen of a country on the list of visa waiver countries and territories, or
  • hold a current Australian permanent resident visa that allows you to return to Australia from overseas, or
  • regardless of nationality, your immediate or final destination after transiting New Zealand is Australia and you hold a current visa issued by the government of Australia to enter Australia, or
  • regardless of nationality, you are travelling from Australia — including a person who began their journey outside Australia.



Information about NZeTA

Who must apply for a transit visa

You must apply for a transit visa before you travel if you are not:

  • from a transit visa waiver country
  • from a visa waiver country, or
  • an Australian permanent resident.

Apply for a transit visa

Transit visa applicants from all countries must submit applications to an Immigration New Zealand office or Visa Application Centre.

Transit visa

Applying from Samoa or Tonga

Immigration New Zealand offices in Tonga and Samoa remain closed. If you are applying from Tonga or Samoa you can send your application to: 




Immigration New Zealand
PO Box 2277




Immigration New Zealand
PO Box 830