Information about Partner of a New Zealander Work Visa

This visa allows you to work in New Zealand if you have a partner who is a New Zealand citizen or resident.


  • 2 years, if you’ve been living with your partner for more than 12 months, or
  • 1 year, if you’ve been living with your partner for less than 12 months.

All conditions

With this visa you can

  • Come to New Zealand with your partner.
  • Work in New Zealand.
  • Study for up to 3 months.

Things to note

  • You can only have this visa for 2 years, but before it expires you can apply for residence based on your partnership.
  • You cannot include dependent children in your visa application, but they can apply for visas based on their relationship to you.

Dependent children

Explore family options

Check that you meet the detailed criteria.

Use the filters to display detailed criteria and evidence


Partner visa