Information about Foreign Government Supported Student Visa

If you have a foreign government loan or scholarship, you can study full-time in New Zealand for more than 3 months. To apply, you'll need to provide evidence your tuition fees will be paid by the loan or scholarship. While you’re here, you can enjoy New Zealand’s high-quality teaching standards and gain internationally recognised qualifications.



Up to 4 years

All conditions

With this visa you can

  • Study full-time at the course stated on your visa – this includes schools, tertiary (study after secondary school) and English language study.
  • Work part-time up to 20 hours a week while studying and full-time in the holidays, depending on your visa conditions.
  • Live by yourself above a certain age, otherwise you’ll need to come with your parent or legal guardian.

Things to note

  • You can only apply for this visa if the country supporting your study has an education agreement with New Zealand.
  • If you want to bring your partner or children with you, they can apply for visas based on their relationship to you.

Check that you meet the detailed criteria.

Use the filters to display detailed criteria and evidence


Student visa