Up to 5 years depending on the skill level of the job you’re offered
With this visa you can
- Work in New Zealand for the employer whose job offer is the basis of your visa application.
Things to note
- We’ll check if any New Zealanders are available to do the work before we grant a visa.
- You can’t include your partner or dependent children in your visa application, but they can apply for visas based on their relationship to you. For your dependent children to be eligible for a visa, you’ll need to be earning at least NZ $36,850.44.
- This visa doesn't allow self-employment. If you want to be self-employed, you can apply for an Entrepreneur Work Visa.
The application process
1 You’re offered full-time work in New Zealand
To apply for this visa, you’ll need to provide a written employment agreement and an ‘Employer Supplementary Form’ completed by your employer. Your employer must include evidence they made genuine attempts to recruit New Zealanders, unless:
- your work is in an occupation on an Essential Skills in Demand List and you have the qualifications and/or work experience listed for that occupation
- you’ve recently applied, or been invited to apply for residence under our Skilled Migrant Category.
Your employer must also engage with Work and Income and obtain a Skills Match Report if your job offer is for a low-skilled role.
2 Apply for a work visa
Check if you’re eligible to apply online, it’s faster and easier. You can then apply and pay online.
Or apply on the paper form and send it to us with your application fee, immigration levy, and your supporting documents.
You can use our Office and fees finder to find out how much you’ll need to pay, and where to send your application.
3 We make a decision about your application
We’ll process your application as soon as we can.
Most online applications are processed within 25 days, and most paper applications within 23 days, but it can take longer in some situations.
If there’s anything else you need to do, we’ll be in touch.
Please check that you meet the detailed criteria before you apply for a visa or travel to New Zealand