12 months in the start-up stage of your visa, then another 24 months once you’ve shown us that you’ve set-up your business
With this visa you can
- Come to New Zealand to buy or set up your own business.
- Work in your own business in New Zealand for up to 3 years in total.
- Include your partner, and dependent children aged 19 and under, in your visa application.
Things to note
- If your business is in the science or ICT sectors, shows a high level of innovation or export potential, we may consider waiving the NZ $100,000 capital investment requirement.
- We won’t be able to grant you an Entrepreneur Work Visa if you’ve been made bankrupt or been involved in a business failure in the last 5 years.
- If you’ve been involved in any kind of business fraud or financial wrongdoing, we won’t be able to grant you a visa.
The application process
1 Gather your documents
Prepare and gather all your documentation you need for this visa.
2 Submit your application
Complete the ‘Entrepreneur Work Visa Application’. You’ll need to send it to us with your application fee, immigration levy and supporting documents, including a detailed business plan.
Use our ‘Office and fees finder’ to check how much to pay and where to send your application.
3 Wait for a decision
We’ll process your application as soon as we can.
Most applications are processed within 90 days, but it can take longer in some situations.
If there’s anything else you need to do, we’ll be in touch.
4 We may grant you another visa for 3 years
If we approve your application, we’ll grant you an initial 12-month visa to start-up your business new Zealand.
Towards the end of the 12-months, we’ll get in touch to ask you to send us information to show you’ve:
- made the capital investment detailed in your business plan
- set up or invested in the business detailed in your business plan.
If you’ve done this, we may be able to grant you another Entrepreneur Work visa for the balance of the 3 years.
Please check that you meet the detailed criteria before you apply for a visa or travel to New Zealand