Primary Sector Trainees Work Visa

Visa details

You can apply for this visa if you are from Chlie or South Korea. This visa allows you to come to New Zealand and take up a work placement in the primary sector.

Length of stay
Up to

12 months

Each year
  • Chile - 60
  • South Korea - 50
NZD $700
Processing time
90% within
49 days
With this visa you can
Things to note
  • Work placements can’t be in the forestry industry, or out at sea.
  • You can't include a partner or dependent children in your visa application, but they can apply for visas based on their relationship to you.

Explore family visa options

Who can apply

The criteria and evidence below will provide you with the information you need to provide to meet the requirements of this visa.

View All Evidence


You must provide proof of your identity

  • 1 acceptable photo if you apply online, or 2 photos if you use a paper application form.
  • your passport or certificate of identity.

Acceptable photos

If you submit a paper application, provide your original passport or a certified copy.  We can usually process your application faster if you provide your original passport.

If you apply online, you must upload a copy of your passport when you apply. We will let you know if you need to send your passport after you've applied.

Sending your passport for online applications

  1. Your passport must be valid for at least 3 months after you plan to leave New Zealand.

  2. If you are a citizen of China and you submit a paper application form in China, you must also complete a supplementary form.

    Supplementary form for Chinese citizens (INZ 1027) PDF 338KB

  3. If you are submitting a paper application form, you must provide a supplementary form for Hong Kong and Macao visitors, workers and students.

    Supplementary form for Hong Kong and Macao visitors, workers and students (INZ 1220) PDF 240KB

  4. Also provide your:

    • Hukou (household registration book)
    • Chinese identity card.
  5. Also provide a copy of your Identity card.


You must be of good character

You may need to provide police certificates as proof of your good character.

If you are aged 17 or older and plan to stay in New Zealand for more than 24 months (including any time you have already spent in New Zealand), you must provide police certificates from:

  • any country you are a citizen of
  • any country you have spent more than 5 years in since you turned 17.

You do not need to provide police certificates if:

  • you have provided them to us with an earlier visa application, and
  • they were issued in the previous 24 months.

Good character

How to get a police certificate


You must be from Chile or South Korea

We’ll use the documents you provide as proof of your identity as evidence of your citizenship.

  1. You can only be supported by the Government of Chile or South Korea.

Government support

You must be funded or supported by your Government

You must provide a letter from your home government detailing the arrangements for supporting and/or funding your training.

Offer of place

You must have an offer of place

Your offer of place must be:

  • with a high quality education provider
  • for vocational study that is relevant to a primary sector industry
  • for at least 12 weeks.

Medical insurance

You must agree to hold medical insurance while you’re in New Zealand

Evidence may include:

  • your insurance policy
  • a letter of cover from your insurer
  • a letter confirming your agreement to hold medical while you’re in New Zealand.

Process and costs

The information below will help you understand the process, timeframes and costs involved in applying for this visa, so you can plan ahead and have the best chance of submitting a complete application.


We cannot display any process or costs information until you have provided your country details. Enter your country details in the panel above to view information relevant to your situation.

Enter country details

How to submit

Payment methods and receiving centre details if applicable.


We cannot display any receiving centre or payment method information until you have provided your country details. Enter your country details in the panel above to view information relevant to your situation.

Enter country details


These are the conditions that you must meet once you have your visa.

Entry permission

You must apply for entry permission when you arrive in New Zealand. You can do this by completing an arrival card, which you are given on the way to New Zealand.

Arriving in New Zealand

  • You can be refused entry permission if:

    • you don’t meet our character requirements
    • your circumstances have changed since you were granted a visa
    • you refuse to let us to take your photo, or provide us with your fingerprints or an iris scan, if we ask you for them.


After you arrive, you can travel in and out of New Zealand as many times as you like before your visa expires.


You can study at the education provider specified on your visa.


You can only work for a land-based primary sector employer.

  • Work placements can’t be out at sea or in the forestry sector.

Medical insurance

You must maintain your medical insurance while in New Zealand. 

  • We may ask to see evidence you’re insured when you arrive in New Zealand.

Visa expiry

You must leave New Zealand before your visa expires.

  • You cannot be granted a further work visa in New Zealand for two years following the expiry of your Primary Sector Trainees Work Visa.