China Special Work Visa — evidence of qualifications

You must provide evidence that you are qualified to do the work you have been offered in New Zealand.

Qualifications you need for your job

The evidence you must provide depends on the job you have been offered.

Chinese chefs

Provide evidence that you have an Occupational Skills Testing Authority Certificate in traditional cuisine, Level 3.

Traditional Chinese medicine practitioners

Provide evidence that shows you:

  • have a degree in Traditional Chinese Medicine that involved 3 or more years of study, and
  • studied at an institution recognised by the Chinese Government.

Nurses who practise Chinese medicine must provide the same evidence.

Mandarin teacher aides

Provide evidence you have a degree that involved 3 or more years of successful study. Your degree can be in any subject.

Wushu martial arts coaches

Provide evidence that you have:

  • a Wushu Grade 3–5 Certificate and a physical education or teaching qualification that involved 2 or more years study, or
  • a Wushu Grade 6–9 Certificate and 5 years of teaching experience.

The Chinese Government must recognise your physical education or teaching qualification.

Chinese tour guides

You must provide evidence that you have:

  • a valid Chinese Tour Guide Licence
  • an acceptable English language test result, and
  • knowledge of New Zealand — for example, you have completed the online training modules on the 100% Pure New Zealand website to become a bronze specialist.

100% Pure New Zealand specialist programme

Acceptable English test results for tour guides

Your English language test results must be no more than 2 years old when you apply for your visa.

Test Minimum score you need

International English Language Testing System (IELTS) — General or Academic Module

5.0 or more in Listening and Speaking

Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet-based Test (TOEFL iBT)

4 or more in Listening and 14 or more in Speaking

Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic)

36 or more in Listening and Speaking

Cambridge English B2 First (FCE)

154 or more in Listening and Speaking

B2 First for Schools (FCE for Schools)

154 or more in Listening and Speaking

Occupational English Test (OET)

Grade C or higher in Listening and Speaking

If we have concerns with a home-based test, we may require you to take another test at a test centre.