Providing birth certificates with visa applications

What should be in a full birth certificate sent with a visa application, and the supporting documents to send when you cannot get a full birth certificate.

Details that need to be in full birth certificates

Full birth certificates sent with your visa application need to show the:

  • full name
  • date of birth
  • place of birth
  • names of the parents.

If you do not have a full birth certificate

If you cannot find your full birth certificate, request one from the appropriate authorities in your country of birth.  

If there is no way you can get a birth certificate, we need evidence. This can be a ‘non-availability’ or ‘birth not registered’ certificate. Your country's authority for registering births can issue one.

Documents we need instead of a birth certificate

Instead of a birth certificate, include with your visa application:


You can use 2 identity documents if you do not have a passport or certificate of identity.

If authorities in India will not issue certificates

If your municipal or village authority will not issue you a certificate we need evidence. This should be a letter from them stating they will not issue either a:

  • full birth certificate, or
  • 'non-availability' or 'birth not registered' certificate.
Documents we need with your municipal or village authority letter

When you apply, send original or certified copies of:

  • the municipal or village authority letter
  • an identity document issued by the Government of India — such as the Permanent Account Number Card or Voters Card issued by the Election Commission of India
  • a school leaving certificate or Class 10th or 12th passing certificate showing the applicant’s name, date of birth and father’s name, and
  • an affidavit sworn before a Magistrate or Notary stating the applicant’s full name, date and place of birth and parents' full names.

English translations of supporting documents

Check if you need to provide certified English translations of your supporting documents in other languages. 

Providing English translations of supporting documents