Information about Primary Sector Trainees Work Visa

People from South Korea and Chile can do vocational study and then take up work placements in New Zealand in primary sector industries. To apply, you’ll need be from South Korea or Chile and be supported or funded by your home government. When you return home after completing your training, you’ll be able to share your new skills.



Length of stay

Up to 12 months

Number of visas
  • Chile - 60
  • South Korea - 50

With this visa you can

Things to note

  • Work placements can’t be in the forestry industry, or out at sea.
  • You can't include a partner or dependent children in your visa application, but they can apply for visas based on their relationship to you.

Explore family visa options


Meeting the criteria

The criteria and evidence below will provide you with the information you need to meet the requirements.

Use the filters to display country specific tips, under evidence, to assist you with your application

Show all evidence Hide all evidence

Quarantine-free travel zones

You may come to New Zealand from a quarantine-free travel zone

Quarantine-free travel zones

You must have been the same quarantine-free travel zone for 14 days.

Quarantine-free travel from Australia has been suspended. 


You must provide proof of your identity

  • 1 acceptable photo if you apply online, or 2 photos if you use a paper application form.
  • your passport or certificate of identity.

Acceptable photos

If you submit a paper application, provide your original passport or a certified copy.  We can usually process your application faster if you provide your original passport.

If you apply online, you must upload a copy of your passport when you apply. We will let you know if you need to send your passport after you've applied.

Sending your passport for online applications

Your passport must be valid for at least 3 months after you plan to leave New Zealand.

If you are a citizen of China and you submit a paper application form in China, you must also complete a supplementary form.

Supplementary form for Chinese citizens (INZ 1027) PDF 270KB

If you are submitting a paper application form, you must provide a supplementary form for Hong Kong and Macao visitors, workers and students.

Supplementary form for Hong Kong and Macao visitors, workers and students (INZ 1220) PDF 450KB

Also provide your:

  • Hukou (household registration book)
  • Chinese identity card.

Also provide a copy of your Identity card.


You must be of good character

You may need to provide police certificates as proof of your good character.

If you are aged 17 or older and plan to stay in New Zealand for more than 24 months (including any time you have already spent in New Zealand), you must provide police certificates from:

  • any country you are a citizen of
  • any country you have spent more than 5 years in since you turned 17.

You do not need to provide police certificates if:

  • you have provided them to us with an earlier visa application, and
  • they were issued in the previous 24 months.

Good character

How to get a police certificate


You must be in good health

You may need to have a chest x-ray, a medical examination or both as proof of your good health.

Who needs an x-ray or medical examination

You must provide a chest x-ray completed in the last 3 months, even if you've provided one to us previously, if:

  • you have spent 6 consecutive months in China since the last x-ray certificate was issued, and
  • you are now coming to NZ for more than 6 months.


You must be from Chile or South Korea

We’ll use the documents you provide as proof of your identity as evidence of your citizenship.

You can only be supported by the Government of Chile or South Korea.

Government support

You must be funded or supported by your Government

You must provide a letter from your home government detailing the arrangements for supporting and/or funding your training.

Offer of place

You must have an offer of place

Your offer of place must be:

  • with a high quality education provider
  • for vocational study that is relevant to a primary sector industry
  • for at least 12 weeks.

Medical insurance

You must agree to hold medical insurance while you’re in New Zealand

Evidence may include:

  • your insurance policy
  • a letter of cover from your insurer
  • a letter confirming your agreement to hold medical while you’re in New Zealand.


The information below will help you understand the process so you can plan ahead and have the best chance of submitting a complete application.

Fees & receiving centre

Fees & receiving centre

The information below will help you understand the process, timeframes and costs involved in applying for this visa, so you can plan ahead and have the best chance of submitting a complete application.



These are the conditions that you must meet once you have your visa.

Entry permission

You must apply for entry permission when you arrive in New Zealand. You can do this by completing an arrival card, which you are given on the way to New Zealand.

Arriving in New Zealand

You can be refused entry permission if:

  • you don’t meet our character requirements
  • your circumstances have changed since you were granted a visa
  • you refuse to let us to take your photo, or provide us with your fingerprints or an iris scan, if we ask you for them.


After you arrive, you can travel in and out of New Zealand as many times as you like before your visa expires.


You can study at the education provider specified on your visa.


You can only work for a land-based primary sector employer.

Work placements can’t be out at sea or in the forestry sector.

Medical insurance

You must maintain your medical insurance while in New Zealand. 

We may ask to see evidence you’re insured when you arrive in New Zealand.

Visa expiry

You must leave New Zealand before your visa expires.

You cannot be granted a further work visa in New Zealand for two years following the expiry of your Primary Sector Trainees Work Visa.