Travellers who do not need an NZeTA

Visa holders and some other travellers do not need an NZeTA (New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority) before they travel to New Zealand.

Who does not need an NZeTA

You do not need an NZeTA if you:

  • are a New Zealand citizen travelling on:
    • a New Zealand passport, or
    • a foreign passport that has a New Zealand citizen endorsement
  • are an Australian citizen travelling on an Australian passport
  • hold a valid visa for New Zealand — including a Permanent Resident Visa.

If you need a citizen endorsement

A New Zealand citizen endorsement is a label in your foreign passport or an electronic record linked to that passport's number. If you travel to another country, it lets you return to New Zealand on your foreign passport. To apply for an endorsement you must be a New Zealand citizen.

I am a New Zealand citizen but travel on my foreign passport