Information about Vietnam Special Work Visa

If you’re a citizen of Vietnam and you've been offered work in New Zealand as a chef or engineering professional, you can apply for this visa. You must have the necessary qualifications, experience and occupational registration to do the work you've been offered.


Up to 3 years

At any one time, under the Vietnam Special Work Instructions, New Zealand can have:

  • 100 Vietnamese chefs
  • 100 Vietnamese engineering professionals

All conditions

You can

  • Come to New Zealand to work as a chef or engineering professional.
  • Study for up to 3 months in any 12-month period.

Things to note

  • The length of your stay will depend on the length of your job offer.If you’re granted a visa for less than 3 years, you can apply for another visa for the balance of the time while in New Zealand. You’ll need to continue to meet all of the criteria to be granted another visa.
  • You can't include a partner or dependent children in your visa application, but they can apply for visas based on their relationship to you.

Explore family visa options

Check that you meet the detailed criteria.

Use the filters to display detailed criteria and evidence