Information about Fishing Crew Work Visa

If you have an offer to work as crew on a fishing vessel, and you have the skills and experience to do that work, you may be able to get a visa to work in New Zealand waters. Before we can grant you a visa, we’ll need your employer to agree to cover the costs of your accommodation, living expenses, and return home when the work ends. They’ll also need to show us there are no New Zealanders available to do the work they’re offering. 


Up to 12 months

All conditions

You can

  • Work in a fishing vessel in New Zealand waters.
  • Do only the work for the employer who offered it to you.

Things to note

  • If you do any work on land or for another employer, you’ll have to leave New Zealand and you won’t be able to return.
  • It’s a good idea to keep your seaman’s book up-to-date. A seaman’s book is a good way to show us you have the necessary experience to apply for a work visa.
  • You can't include a partner or dependent children in your visa application.

Check that you meet the detailed criteria.

Use the filters to display detailed criteria and evidence