Information about China Special Work Visa

You can apply for this visa if you’re a citizen of the People’s Republic of China and you’re qualified to work as a chef, traditional medicine practitioner, Mandarin teacher’s aide, Wushu martial arts coach or tour guide. You’ll need to have a New Zealand job offer in one of these occupations to apply. If you’re granted a visa, you’ll be able to come to New Zealand to work in the job you were offered.


Up to 3 years

Varies depending on occupation.

All conditions

With this visa you can

  • Come to New Zealand to work in a China special work occupation.
  • Study for up to 3 months.

Things to note

  • The length of your stay will depend on the length of your job offer.
  • At any one time under the China Special Work Category, New Zealand can have: 200 Chinese chefs, 200 traditional Chinese medicine practitioners, 150 Mandarin teacher’s aides, 150 Wushu martial arts coaches, 100 Chinese tour guides.
  • If you’re granted a visa for less than 3 years, you can apply for another visa for the balance of the time while in New Zealand. You’ll need to continue to meet all of the criteria to be granted another visa.
  • You can't include your partner or dependent children in your visa application, but they can apply for visas based on their relationship to you.
    Explore family visa options

Check that you meet the detailed criteria.

Use the filters to display detailed criteria and evidence