Knowledge base articles

I have a work visa but my job details are changing. What do I need to do?

If you look at your eVisa letter or work visa label, there may be conditions placed on it.

On most work visas, these conditions will state your job title, your employer's details and your region of employment (e.g. Wellington or Auckland).

If any of these details change, your visa conditions must be changed as well for you to continue to work lawfully in New Zealand.

Depending on what has changed about your job, you may need to request a variation of conditions on your existing visa or you may need to apply for a new work visa.

Variation of conditions

A variation of conditions will only be granted if the new conditions still meet the intent of the instructions your original visa was granted under.

You can request a variation of conditions to change any of the conditions on your visa if you hold a work visa under any category except Essential Skills.

Varying the conditions of a work visa

Essential Skills work visa information

 If you hold an Essential Skills work visa, you can request a variation of conditions only if:

  • Your employer is changing, but your role and the location of employment remain the same; or
  • Your new position is on one of the Essential Skills in Demand Lists and you meet the requirements of the list.

Skill shortage list checker

In any other situation, you will need to apply for a new work visa.

If you hold an Essential Skills work visa based on employment paid at or above the median wage (for applications made from 27 July 2020) or employment assessed as higher-skilled or mid-skilled (for applications made before 27 July 2020), your new employment must be paid above the median wage for a variation of conditions to be granted.

If you wish to change to employment paid below the median wage, you must apply for a new work visa.

Explore work visa options

Submitting a variation of conditions

To apply for a variation of conditions on your work visa, you will need:

  • A completed variation of conditions form (INZ1020)
  • Employer supplementary form (INZ1113), completed by your new employer
  • An application fee
  • Offer of employment and employment agreement for the new role

If you need to work a notice period before leaving your current job, you should include a cover letter with your application which sets out how long the notice period is.

Variation of conditions form (INZ 1020)

Employer supplementary form (INZ 1113)

Fees, decision times & where to apply

Before you submit your variation of conditions form, consider how much longer your work visa is valid for.

A variation of conditions does not change the expiry date of your work visa.

If your visa will expire soon, you might want to apply for a new work visa now and get your employment details updated at the same time.

Apply for a new work visa

If your situation does not fit any of the situations stated above, you will need to apply for a new work visa. The process is likely to be the same as when you applied for the original work visa.

Explore work visa options

What about my family?

If your family (partner and/or dependent children) have been issued visas based on your work visa and you have varied your visa conditions, your family does not need to make any changes to their visas during their validity.

Once the family visas are close to their expiry dates, you should submit further applications for new family stream visas if they wish to remain in New Zealand.

Explore visa options for family

If you have obtained a new work visa, the validity of your visa may be different to what your family members hold. You should be mindful of this as you all need to hold valid visas to be lawfully in New Zealand.

Your family do not need to obtain new visas immediately provided you remain an eligible supporting partner/parent.

Can I start my new job while the variation of conditions is being processed?

You cannot start working in your new position until either the conditions of your work visa have been varied or you have been granted a new work visa. It is important that your work visa correctly reflects your employment details at all times.

Breaching the conditions on your visa (e.g. working in Hamilton when your visa states a Christchurch location) means you are working unlawfully. This may result in visa revocation or deportation from New Zealand. Your employer may be prosecuted and fined.