Knowledge base articles

I have a work visa, but my job details are changing

If you look at your work visa label or Evisa, there may be conditions placed on it.

On most work visas these conditions will state your job title, your employer's details and your region of employment (e.g Wellington or Auckland).

If any of these details will change, your visa conditions must be changed as well in order for you to continue lawfully working in New Zealand.

Depending on what exactly has changed about your job, you may need to request either a variation of conditions on your existing visa or apply for a whole new work visa.

Variation of Conditions

A variation of conditions will only be granted if your new conditions would still meet the intent of the instructions your original visa was granted under.

You can request a variation of conditions to change any of the conditions on your visa if you hold a work visa under any category except Essential Skills.

Varying the conditions of a work visa

Essential Skills Work Visa information

 If you hold an Essential Skills Work Visa you can request a variation of conditions only if:

  • Your employer is changing, but your occupation and the place of employment remain the same; or
  • You want to change any conditions on your visa and your new position is on one of the Essential Skills in Demand Lists and you meet the requirements of the list.

Skill shortage list checker

In any other situation, you will need to apply for a whole new work visa. Have a look at the work visa section below, for more information on this process.

Submitting a Variation of Conditions

To apply for a Variation of Conditions on your work visa, you will need:

  • A completed Variation of Conditions Form (INZ1020)
  • Employer Supplementary Form (INZ1113), which your new employer will need to complete
  • An application fee
  • Offer of employment and Employment of Agreement from your new employer

If you need to work a notice period before leaving your current job, you should include a cover letter with your application which sets out how long the notice period is.

Variation of Conditions form (INZ 1020)

Employer Supplementary form (INZ 1113)

Fees, decision times & where to apply

Before you submit your variation of conditions form, consider how much longer your work visa is valid for.

A variation of conditions does not change the expiry date of your work visa.

If your visa will expire soon, you might want to apply for a whole new work visa now, and get your employment details updated at the same time.

Apply for a new Work Visa

If your situation does not fit any conditions stated above, you will need to apply for a new work visa. The process is likely to be the same as when you applied for the original work visa.

Explore work visa options

What about my family?

If your family (partner and/or dependent children) have been issued visas based on your work visa (Family Stream categories) and you have changed conditions (through a variation of conditions), your family does not need to make any changes to their visas during their validity.

Once the family visas are close to their expiry dates, you should submit further applications for new family stream visas, if they wish to remain in New Zealand with you.

Explore visa options for family

Can I start working in my new job while my new conditions are being processed?

You cannot start working in your new position until either the conditions of your work visa have been varied or you have been granted a new work visa. It is very important that your work visa correctly reflects your employment details at all times.

Breaching the conditions on your visa (e.g. working in Hamilton, when your visa states a Christchurch location) means you are working unlawfully, and this may result in visa revocation, deportation from New Zealand and your employer may be prosecuted and fined as well.


On 17 September 2019, the Minister of Immigration announced changes to employer assisted temporary work visa categories that will take place over the next 18 months.

Changes to temporary work visas