Providing immigration advice to migrants

Only people who are licensed can provide advice on New Zealand immigration matters, unless they are exempt under the Immigration Advisers Licensing Act 2007. People who are exempt include New Zealand lawyers and Citizens Advice Bureau staff.

If you are not licensed or exempt, you cannot advise migrants on any aspect of immigration matter.

You can guide candidates to publicly available information, like that on the Immigration New Zealand website. This is not classified as immigration advice. However, you cannot, for instance, advise migrants on which would be the best visa for them to apply for, or what documents they may need for the application.

To summarise - employers and recruiters can support candidates to get a visa, but must not provide them with immigration advice as part of the process, unless you are a Licenced Immigration Adviser or exempt.

Who can give immigration advice | Immigration Advisers Authority