Report an immigration offence

How to report an immigration offence, such as someone overstaying or working illegally to us or through Crime Stoppers.

What happens after an immigration offence is reported

When an immigration offence is reported, investigation can be done to address and resolve the issue, and steps can be put in place to stop it happening again.

Report an offence to Immigration New Zealand (INZ)

You can report an immigration offence to us by calling our Customer Service Centre or emailing our Compliance Investigations team.

Provide as much information as possible about the offence and your details in case we need to contact you.


The Compliance Investigations email address is only for reporting immigration offences. Call the Customer Service Centre for all other enquiries. 


Privacy Act 2020 requirements means we may not be able to advise you of the investigation process outcome. 

Report offences anonymously using Crime Stoppers

Crime Stoppers is an independent charity helping New Zealanders fight crime. It is a simple way to pass on information anonymously to the authorities. 

You can report immigration offences, such as someone overstaying or working illegally, by using the Crime Stoppers service.

The 2 ways you can contact Crime Stoppers are by phone or by using a secure online form.

0800 555 111

Crime Stoppers online form

The online form takes you to the secure Crime Stoppers web form. You and your computer are anonymous.

Crime Stoppers reads your report and takes out content that might identify you. They then forward your report to the relevant authorities in New Zealand.

More details about Crime Stoppers is on their website. You can find out what information they need and what they do with the information you provide.

Crime Stoppers website

Inform INZ when employees leave employment early

If a worker from overseas has a visa that specifies employment with your business and unexpectedly leaves before the expiry of their visa, you can let us know.

Feedback about an employee who has left their employment

Send an online student enrolment termination form to INZ

If you have terminated the enrolment of a foreign student holding a student visa, let us know by submitting an online Student enrolment termination form.

Student enrolment termination form