U3.40 Students who wish to change their study conditions
See also Immigration Act 2009 ss 49, 52, 56
- A further student visa or variation of conditions, for the purpose of changing programme of study, education provider and/or study location, will only be granted if an immigration officer is satisfied that:
- the applicant meets the student requirements set out at U3.1; and
- the applicant has not breached their visa conditions as set out at E3.20; and
- the original student visa would have been granted for the proposed programme of study, education provider, and/or study location; and
- the applicant remains a bona fide applicant (see E5.1).
- Factors that an immigration officer may take into consideration when determining (a)(iii) and (a)(iv) above include, but are not limited to:
- the time elapsed since the original visa was granted;
- whether the level and/or subject area of the proposed programme of study are significantly different from the original programme of study; and
- any relevant information held about the previous application(s) including advice from the original issuing branch (see E7.1.1).
- Applicants who have received New Zealand Scholarship funding within the two years prior to their application to change programme of study and/or education provider being made, must also provide evidence that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade supports the change of programme of study or education provider and that any scholarship continues.
- Applicants who wish to change their programme of study and/or education provider may provide evidence of payment of tuition fees after the application has been approved in principle.