3 months (6 months for visitors from the UK)
With this visa you can
- Travel to New Zealand without first applying for a visa - you must be from a visa waiver country to do this.
- Bring your family, if they meet our criteria for visa waiver travel.
- Holiday and sightsee, visit family and friends, shop and enjoy New Zealand as a visitor.
- Study for a short time.
Things to note
- If you aren’t sure if you meet visa waiver requirements, you should check with us before travelling to New Zealand.
- If you want to visit New Zealand for a longer period of time you should apply for a visitor visa before you travel.
- You don’t have to pay a visa application fee or immigration levy when you travel visa waiver.
The application process
1 Check you meet the requirements for visa waiver travel
You must meet all the requirements for visa waiver travel and:
- have complied with the conditions of your visa on any previous visits to New Zealand
- not spend more than 6 months in a 12 month period in New Zealand.
If you’re not sure you meet the requirements, apply for a visa before travelling.
2 Arrange your travel ticket and spending money
To travel visa waiver, you’ll first need to buy a travel ticket to leave New Zealand at the end of your stay.
Your departure date must be no later than 3 months after the date you arrive in New Zealand, or no more than 6 months if you’re a British citizen.
You’ll also need to make sure you have enough money for your stay and be able to access that money while you’re in New Zealand.
3 Travel to New Zealand
When you check in for your travel, you’ll be asked present your travel ticket out of New Zealand.
On your way, you’ll be given an arrival card to complete, which is how you apply for a visa when you travel visa waiver.
When you arrive, we’ll check your arrival card and if you meet our requirements for a visa waiver, grant you a visa.
Please check that you meet the detailed criteria before you apply for a visa or travel to New Zealand