Knowledge base articles

What are the character requirements for supporting partners?

If you are considering supporting your partner for a Temporary or Resident Visa under a Partnership-based category, you will need to meet good character requirements.

Any New Zealand resident or citizen supporting a partnership-based visa application must not have had any conviction in any country for domestic violence or sexual offences since turning the age of 17.

Partners supporting Partner of a New Zealander Resident Visa application will be required to provide police certificates from each country they have lived in for 12 months or more in the 10 years prior to the application being lodged. Additional police certificates may also be requested by an Immigration Officer if there are reasons to believe a partner does not meet character requirements.

You are not required to supply a New Zealand Police Certificate as Immigration New Zealand will obtain this on your behalf.

Do I need to provide a police certificate if I am supporting my partner for residence?

Yes. If you are supporting your partner for a Partner of a New Zealander Resident Visa, you must provide a police or similar certificate from any country in which you have lived 12 months or more (whether on one visit or intermittently) in the last 10 years. These certificates must be less than 6 months old when they are submitted with the application.

I submitted a Police Certificate to Immigration New Zealand with my own visa application. Can I use that Police Certificate to show that I meet the character requirements when supporting my partner?

You may only use the previous Police Certificate if it was issued within 6 months of your partner’s application being accepted for processing by Immigration New Zealand.