Knowledge base articles

Can I apply for a Permanent Resident Visa while overseas?

It is possible to apply for a permanent resident visa while you are overseas.

If you are outside New Zealand and the travel conditions of your resident visa have expired, your resident visa has expired. 

You may still be able to apply for a Permanent Resident Visa if you resident visa expired less than three months ago and you otherwise meet the Permanent Resident Visa criteria and character requirements.

Resident to permanent resident

Commitment to New Zealand

If you are not eligible for a Permanent Resident Visa you may then be able to apply for a Second or Subsequent Resident Visa instead, to re-establish your residence status.

Second or Subsequent Resident Visa

If none of those options apply to you, a new application for residence may be necessary.

Explore visa options for living permanently in New Zealand