E11.55 Requirements for participants in approved student exchange schemes
Participants in approved student exchange schemes may be granted student visas for the length of their exchange provided they:
- meet the requirements under Generic Temporary Entry instructions for lodging an application for a temporary entry visa as set out at E4; and
- apply from outside of New Zealand; and
- are bona fide applicants as set out at E5; and
- meet health and character requirements as set out at A4 and A5.
Participants must provide evidence to show that:
- they have been accepted into an approved student exchange scheme by the scheme organiser; and
- they meet outward travel requirements.
Note: Evidence of the travel arrangements to leave New Zealand at the end of the intended stay is:
- actual travel tickets (confirmed or open-dated) out of New Zealand to a destination to which the applicant has right of entry; or
- a written guarantee from the New Zealand guarantor that they will ensure that participants (and any dependants) will have outward bookings at the end of their stay in New Zealand, regardless of whether they complete the full term of the exchange.
E11.55.5 Participants who arrive in New Zealand without a student visa
If participants arrive in New Zealand without a student visa, immigration officers may grant a student visa for the maximum period of stay for their scheme, provided that:
- there are special reasons why they have not obtained a visa; and
- they meet the requirements set out at E11.55.
E11.55.10 Partners and dependent children of student exchange scheme participants
- Partners and dependent children of student exchange scheme participants may be granted visas that are current for the same period as the participants' visas, provided they meet the requirements for the particular category of visa they are applying for.
- Immigration officers must be satisfied that the exchange scheme allows participants to be accompanied to New Zealand by their partner and dependent children.
- Participants' partners may apply for work visas after their arrival, but they are subject to work visa criteria.
E11.55.15 Extending the stay for tourist reasons
Participants who wish to remain in New Zealand for a further period as tourists may be granted visitor visas for a maximum of 3 months, provided that they meet the requirements and conditions for a visitor visa.
E11.55.20 Pastoral Care of International Students
- Attendance at a school that is a signatory to the Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice 2016 is required where the student is studying under a school-to-school exchange scheme (U4.15(b)(i)).
- Attendance at a school that is a signatory to the Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice 2016 is not required for:
- school students studying under a reciprocal exchange scheme managed by an Exchange Programme Organisation (EPO) approved by the Ministry of Education (see U4.15(b)(ii); and
- tertiary students on approved exchanges.