N2.1 Who must apply for a transit visa (19/03/2020)
See also Immigration Act 2009 s 86
See also Immigration (Visa, Entry Permission, and Related Matters) Regulations 2010 reg 16, reg 23B, sch 1, sch 2
- A person intending to travel to and be in New Zealand as a transit passenger must apply for and obtain a transit visa before proceeding to New Zealand, unless they are:
- a New Zealand citizen or residence class visa holder; or
- the holder of a temporary entry class visa with relevant travel conditions; or
- a person to whom a visa waiver applies under E2.1 and (from 1 October 2019) they hold a transit or traveller ETA; or
- a person whose immediate or final destination after transiting through New Zealand is Australia and he or she holds a current visa issued by the government of Australia to enter Australia and (from 1 October 2019) they hold a transit ETA; or
- a person who is a citizen of a country listed under N2.5 Transit visa waiver country list and (from 1 October 2019) they hold a transit ETA; or
- a person the Minister has, by special direction, classified as a person to whom a transit visa waiver applies; or
- (from 1 October 2019) a person travelling from Australia and holds a transit ETA.
- The Minister may, by special direction, suspend any transit visa waiver described in (a)(v) or (vi) above.
Note: The Minister of Immigration has given a special direction to:
- suspend the waiver of the requirement to hold a transit visa before travelling to and being in New Zealand as a transit passenger, as specified in regulation 16 of the Immigration (Visa, Entry Permission, and Related Matters) Regulations 2010, except for Schedule 1(2) – Citizens of Australia and people who hold a current permanent residence visa (including a resident return visa) issued by the Government of Australia, where Australia is their final destination, and
- classify the immediate family members (spouses, minor dependants and legal guardians) of Australian citizens and holders of a current permanent residence visa (including a resident return visa) issued by the Government of Australia as persons to whom a transit visa waiver applies, where Australia is their final destination.
This is valid from 11:59pm 19 March 2020 until 19 June 2020, unless cancelled earlier.