N2.1 Who must apply for a transit visa? (29/11/2010)
See also Immigration Act 2009 s 86
See also Immigration (Visa, Entry Permission, and Related Matters) Regulations 2010 reg 16, sch 2
- A person intending to travel to and be in New Zealand only as a transit passenger must, before proceeding to New Zealand, apply for and obtain a transit visa, unless they are:
- a New Zealand citizen or residence class visa holder; or
- a person to whom a visa waiver applies (see E2.1.5); or
- the holder of a temporary entry class visa with relevant travel conditions; or
- a person whose immediate or final destination after transiting New Zealand is Australia and who holds a current visa issued by the government of Australia to enter Australia; or
- a person to whom a transit visa waiver applies, including:
- a citizen of a country specified on the transit visa country waiver list (see N2.5); or
- a person the Minister has, by special direction, classified as a person to whom a transit visa waiver applies.
- The Minister may, by special direction, suspend any transit visa waiver as described in (v) above.