N2.1 Who must apply for a transit visa
See also Immigration Act 2009 s 86
See also Immigration (Visa, Entry Permission, and Related Matters) Regulations 2010 reg 16, reg 23B, sch 1, sch 2
- A person intending to travel to and be in New Zealand as a transit passenger must apply for and obtain a transit visa before proceeding to New Zealand, unless they are:
- a New Zealand citizen or residence class visa holder; or
- the holder of a temporary entry class visa with relevant travel conditions; or
- a person to whom a visa waiver applies under E2.1 and they hold a transit or traveller ETA; or
- a person whose immediate or final destination after transiting through New Zealand is Australia and he or she holds a current visa issued by the government of Australia to enter Australia and they hold a transit ETA; or
- a person who is a citizen of a country listed under N2.5 Transit visa waiver country list and they hold a transit ETA; or
- a person the Minister has, by special direction, classified as a person to whom a transit visa waiver applies; or
- a person travelling from Australia and holds a transit ETA.
- The Minister may, by special direction, suspend any transit visa waiver described in (a)(v) or (vi) above.