WF4.1 Who is eligible for a special work visa
- Unless WF4.5 applies, a person may apply for and be granted a multiple entry work visa if their partner holds:
- a student visa to study a level 7 or 8 qualification on the New Zealand Qualifications Framework (NZQF) that is specified either in the Qualifications Eligible for a Post-Study Work Visa list or the Green List (Appendix 13); or
- a student visa to study a degree level 9 or 10 qualification on the NZQF; or
- a student visa for a level 7 or 8 qualification as specified in the previous Long Term Skill Shortage List if the study for this qualification commenced before 7 September 2022.
Note: In order to be eligible for a work visa under (a)(i) and (iii) the qualification undertaken by the student visa holder must be specified on the applicable list at the time the work visa application is submitted.
- Work visas will be granted for the same period as the student visa held by the applicant's partner subject to the generic requirements at E4.5 being met.
- Any work visas granted under these instructions, may be endorsed with conditions that allow work for any employer.
- Applicants must have NZ$4,200 available for their maintenance during the period of stay in New Zealand.
- If, subsequent to any work visa granted under these instructions, the work visa holder’s student partner changes their study and the new study no longer meets the requirements under WF4.1(a), the work visa holder will no longer meet the requirements for a work visa under these instructions and may be liable for deportation.